Robert Dick SC
Phone +61 2 8239 0217
Robert practises widely in complex commercial litigation including representative proceedings, company law, contractual disputes and insurance. Robert provides advice across a wide range of legal areas, and appears in trials, applications and appeals, as well as domestic and international arbitrations.
Recent high profile cases in which Robert has appeared or is appearing include:
- representing Herbert Smith Freehills in their successful defence of cross-claims in the Arrium proceedings in the Commercial List of the Supreme Court of New South Wales (2021);
- representing the Special Purpose Receivers in the Banksia proceedings in the Commercial Court of the Supreme Court of Victoria (2021);
- representing the Plaintiff in Federal Court representative proceedings against IAG’s subsidiary, Swann Insurance, for issuing “add-on insurance” which proceedings were settled for $138 million (2020);
- representing a former executive of Citigroup in criminal “bank cartel” proceedings in the Federal Court which have now been discontinued against him by the Commonwealth DPP (2021);
- representing Woodside Petroleum in an appeal in the Court of Appeal of Western Australia involving complex contract law issues (2021);
- representing Toyota in Federal Court representative proceedings (2021).
- representing entities in the Johnson and Johnson group of companies in Federal Court representative proceedings (2021).
- representing Qantas in a complex contractual dispute in the Commercial List of the Supreme Court of New South Wales (2021).
Robert has also appeared in a number of major Commissions of Inquiry including ICAC public hearings and the Hayne Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industries where he represented APRA.
Robert is regularly ranked as a leading silk in the Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific Guides for Dispute Resolution where he is described as a "very skillful advocate and extremely well prepared" ; and in the Doyles Guide, the Legal 500 Guide, and the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in Australia Guide.